1.What should I expect from Mount Royal before my trip?

Once the student’s file has been opened and paid: Welcome letter to the Mount Royal chosen program and payment receipt.

Approximately 3 months before departure, the Canadian school will issue an acceptance letter (provided that the pending payment for program has been made).

A month before departure you will receive a Travel Dossier, including information about your flight, insurance, and other details.

15 – 30 days before departure you will receive information about the host family. Your dates and flight details will be confirmed by email.

2. Payment

Bank transfer to Mount Royal. It is essential that as soon as the payment has been made, you email us the receipt issued by the bank for this operation (bank transfer note). Please refer the student’s details and chosen program in your email.

3. When do I make the payment?

First part should be paid when the registration form is filled up. Immediately after, the student’s spot will be booked and his file will be opened.

The second and final payment should be made when Mount Royal receives the acceptance letter issued by the Canadian school.

4. Which departure airport will I fly from?

Unless otherwise stated, all flights with chaperone will depart from Barajas Airport (Madrid).

5. Which airways and transfer companies do you work with?

Mount Royal usually works with Air Canada, Air France/KLM

Once in Canada, transfers are arranged using the school buses or by local transfer companies that work for the schools.

6. How do I prepare my baggage?

Please pack all your belongings in a single piece of baggage. In addition, the student should take with him/her as carry-on baggage a backpack provided by Mount Royal (with his/her documents, pocket money/credit card and a change of clothes). This backpack will also be useful for other tours or visits during his/her stay in Canada.

7. What is the weight limit applied to checked baggage?

Each air company applies its own policy. This information will be included in the Travel Dossier.

8. Where are the programs located?

Mount Royal programs in Canada are located in Alberta, British Columbia, Ontario, Nova Scotia, Quebec, New Brunswick & Newfoundland.

9. What type of accommodation is provided?

Accommodation will depend on the chosen program. For both residential and homestay programs, Mount Royal has established the quality criteria that should be met to guarantee the students’ wellbeing.

10. How are meals arranged?

Food in Canada is different from ours. It is similar to the US standards. At homestay programs and depending on the host family origin, it may be possible to taste dishes from different cultures.

Canadian breakfast traditionally includes juice, cereals, coffee, toasts, cookies, milk/tea, eggs and bacon. Lunch is usually limited to a sandwich and a piece of fruit, while dinner is much richer: meat or fish, vegetables and dessert. At summer time, salads and BBQ are frequent.

At residential programs and summer camps, three meals a day are usually served, including a snack between lunch and dinner. It is always possible to accommodate the dietary requirements of specific students (vegetarian, celiac…) if prior notice is given.

Meals schedule is also different in Canada. Lunch usually take place around 12:00 hours and dinner (depending on the host family) is between 18:00 – 20:00 hours.

11. What is the chaperone responsibility?

Mount Royal chaperones will accompany the students through their trip to Canada. They will also review the location of the host families and schools. Chaperones provide guidance and support during the stay in Canada.

12. What documents do I need to take with me?

Passport is compulsory. The passport is required to be valid at least 6 months after entering Canada (15 months for semester or academic year programs). In any case, the passport must be valid until the student leaves the country. It is also advisable to take your national ID with you – it is essential to be well-documented while you are abroad. Minors (under age 18) traveling internationally without one or both parents may be required to present a letter of consent signed by any/all non-traveling parents.

13. What should I do if I lose my passport before returning to Spain?

It is crucial to inform of this circumstance as soon as possible to the International Students Program staff in Canada (coordinators). They will help you to apply for a new passport in the nearest Spanish Consulate, which takes 10-14 days to be issued. In case of emergency, Spanish Consulates are able to issue instantly a special travel document called “salvoconducto”.

14. Can I use my Social Security card in Canada?

No. Spanish Social Security has not signed any agreement with the Canadian health system. For this reason, Mount Royal includes a health insurance in all programs.

15. Are the Spanish parents able to contact directly with their children while they are in a camp in Canada?

Before booking any of these programs, both parents and students must be aware of the philosophy under the academic programs (summer camps, academic year and others). Each camp has its own rules, and most of them have strict restrictions regarding phone communications.

The policy of the people in charge of the summer camps and other academic programs is oriented to integrate the students into the immersion experience as soon as possible, by means of consolidating strong social links. Constant communication with the natural parents often increases homesickness, which may hinder the integration process of the students.

Email communication is allowed, although internet access might not be available every day and varies depending on the chosen camp.

16. If I am running out of funds while in Canada, can my parents send me money from Spain?

An electronic transfer is the fastest and more efficient way to send money to Canada from Spain. Electronic transfers can be ordered from any Correos post office (via Western Union), to a maximum of 3,000 EUR. For long stays, we recommend to provide the student with his/her own Visa card.

17. What kind of insurance will I be covered by?

Canadian health insurances.

18. What is covered by this insurance?

Before starting the summer camp, academic year or any other program in Canada, you will receive at home a document including your insurance policy number and coverage. All the insurances provided have extensive health coverage. Some include unlimited health coverage.

19. What is the legal currency in Canada?

Canadian dollars ($CND).
Exchange rates can be checked aquí.

20. How much money will I need?

Mount Royal recommends around 100 $CND per week. However, this may vary depending on each student’s personal costs and shopping expenses.

21. What should I do if I am sick?

Host families or coordinators (depending on the chosen Program) will assist the student and take him to the closest health center if needed. They will always follow the doctor’s instructions: no medical treatment will be given to any student unless his/her parents have previously authorized it by written notice.

If a student is under a medical treatment that needs to be continued while he/she is in Canada, they must provide a notarized medical report in English detailing this treatment.

When a student is taken to a doctor, the host family or the coordinator will contact his natural parents as soon as the student is diagnosed.

22. Who will take care of me in the event of illness or accident?

The host family and coordinators will reassure that you will be well cared for, and they will make sure that the doctor’s instructions are followed.

23. What is the legal age in Canada for drinking and/or smoking?

Individuals are legally considered adults in Canada once they reach the age of majority (18 years of age). However, most Canadian provinces set the legal age for drinking and/or smoking in 19 years of age.

Mount Royal strongly advices the students not to carry alcohol or food with them in their baggage, as this may cause serious problems at customs and delay the whole group.

24. How is weather each season in Canada?

For weather information, please visit:

25. Do you recommend using debit bank cards?
Debit cards are very useful as an alternative to carry too much cash. Many debit cards can also be used at ATMs to withdraw cash. Mount Royal recommends contacting your bank regarding the advantages and disadvantages of using debit cards in Canada as well as the commissions applied.
26. Do you recommend using a Spanish cell phone while in Canada?

Spanish cell phones can be used in Canada. Please contact your provider for instructions on how to operate your phone abroad.

Roaming charges are very expensive in Canada. Using your Spanish cell phone while you are in Canada may involve substantial costs (around 1000 Euro).

Despite this, Mount Royal recommends students to take their cell phones with them as they may be very useful in case of emergency.

27. Time difference between Spain and Canada
28. Is tipping compulsory at restaurants?

The standard socially acceptable is to leave a gratuity between 10 and 15 % of the total price. If you decline to tip, waiters may require an explanation on why you refuse to pay for their services. Some restaurants include gratuity on their bills, usually for groups of 5 or more customers. Tipping is not required in fast food chains like McDonald’s, Burger King, Harvey’s or Mr. Sub.

Esta web utiliza cookies propias para su correcto funcionamiento. Contiene enlaces a sitios web de terceros con políticas de privacidad ajenas que podrás aceptar o no cuando accedas a ellos. Al hacer clic en el botón Aceptar, acepta el uso de estas tecnologías y el procesamiento de tus datos para estos propósitos. Ver Política de cookies